Wednesday, March 17, 2010

11 pm, charles de gaulle airport

Good news, CDG has an extensive wireless internet system. Bad news: it's not free. What the hell? Typed this entry in notepad to post later. Fucking French.

Airport is kind of space-agey in that French way; they have a display of giant plant pots that glow and change color; a cylindrical space-station design, with floors connected by spiral staircases or, alternatively, tilted moving sidewalks encased in a tube. They keep these sidewalks moving all night, and they make a lot of noise. I'm not the only one spending the night here--a bunch of people camped out in corners. I'm pretty sure not all of them are travellers; there's one old woman who appears to be homeless. You don't have to go through security to get in here. Bad design # 1: even though this is only a transfer point, I still had to go through passport control and customs. To get onto my connection tomorrow, I'll have to go through passport control again. That's retarded.

------------------------
Later addition:
I ended up dozing from time to time. My Israel experience has apparently given me the ability to doze upright, bent in weird positions, for example over the top of a built in armrest on a set of airport seats.

Turns out that Newark has the same retarded design, and anyone changing planes in Newark from abroad has to go through customs, get their luggage, and then check in again to catch their next airplane.

El Al didn't have any notice of my request for a kosher meal; Continental did. How is that for irony?

Also turns out that the El Al representative in Tel Aviv was wrong that my luggage would get transferred by itself. It got to spend another day in Paris, and hopefully will be joining me tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment