Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Loada falafa

Had a shwarma laffa for supper today. Should have had a falafel laffa, because it sounds funnier.

Last night ate dinner with the rabbi and 4 other students in his home in Betar, which is behind the "Green Line," which means that it's in the West Bank. Betar is the town where Bar Kochba fought the Romans. Drove along a walled highway, which is part of the wall that you hear about in the news. It's a really high wall, and the top half tilts over the top of the highway. Betar itself is a walled city of 35,000 people, with shops, and even a set of buses. All the residents are religious (mostly Hassidic) so it's crawling with kids. One of the local buses went by completely full of kids, riding around at night.

Looking forward to Friday very much: sleep late, then go out to a new little cafe that I just found, to get some squeezed-on-command OJ, a cafe fuque, by-the-pound baked goods, and the English-language Jerusalem post. And the guy who works there is super nice.

I have a local US number that connects to my Israel phone. Calling it costs you only the cost of a call to 212 area code (I pay a bit on my end to receive the call). If anyone wants to call, let me know and I'll give you the number.

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like to hear my melodious tones, I'd be game... =)

    ReplyDelete