Sunday, February 28, 2010

purim!

Today is Purim in most of the world outside of Jerusalem. In Jerusalem (and a handful of other ancient walled cities) purim is celebrated tomorrow. In order to enable us to have 2 days of drunkenness, the yeshiva has arranged for students to visit teachers who live outside Jerusalem. I went with about 10 students to a rabbi in Efrat, a city in the west bank. The bus was armored, with solid metal walls and double thick windows, so the ride was very bouncy, aas the weight of the bus strained the suspension, and we bottomed out after all the speed bumps in the settlement.

The rabbi brought us to his 3 neighbors to deliver purim food gifts, and we danced in each apartment. I'm sure the neighbors heartily enjoyed 12 sweaty men smelling up the place for half an hour, but it was nice, and fun.

Weather on Friday, Saturday, and today has been unbelievably windy and rainy. Thank God for artificial fibers; I had to take off shoes and socks in the tiolet after I arrived and wring them out, but my good Alaska hiking socks kept my feet warm despite being wet.

Going to hear megilla and a purim shpiel tonight at the yeshiva. Tomorrow morning I hope to go to a fun shul to hear megilla again.

Eilat flight and hotel reservation seem to have gone through. Crossing my fingers. Only 1 week plus 1 day of school left.

No comments:

Post a Comment